Welcome to the website of Stedham with Iping Parish Council
Here you will be able to
- Discover the responsibilities of the parish council
- Find out about your parish councillors and how to contact them
- Obtain details of past, current and future parish council meetings and its committee the meetings
Stedham with Iping Parish Council covers an area in West Sussex, a couple of miles west of Midhurst, in the heart of the South Downs National Park. The parish runs from Ingrams Green and Minsted in the south to Stubbs Hill and Tote Hill in the north. The River Rother runs west to east right through the parish. In the south there is farmland and the common land, most of which forms the Iping and Stedham Commons Local Nature Reserve. North of the river is heavily wooded with deep sunken lanes.
History of the Parish Councils
Iping and Stedham were separate parishes until the boundary changes of 1972. They were both long thin parishes. Iping ran from Ingrams Green in the south to the Wheatsheaf Enclosure on the county boundary in the north. Stedham likewise ran alongside Iping from just south of the Midhurst Petersfield railway line up to Wheatsheaf common on the county boundary just south of Liphook .
Iping parish included Milland and in 1972 Milland Parish Council was formed from the northern parts of Chithurst, Iping and Stedham.
Stedham with Iping Parish Council
The remaining parts of Iping and Stedham were amalgamated to form Stedham with Iping Parish Council. Its first meeting was held on 20 November 1972 under the chairmanship of Mr H W Jeans.
Stedham Parish Council
Stedham Parish Council held its first meeting in the Stedham Board School on 4 December 1894 where the main business was the election of 9 parish councillors. 10/3½d (52 p) was spent on minute books and stationery. The first Chairman of Stedham Parish Council was Colonel W H Watson who lived at Minsted House.
Elections of councillors at the Annual Parish Meeting appear to have occurred in 1896, 1897,1898 and 1899,1901, 1904 and every 3 years thereafter until 1937.
The original Annual Parish Meeting minute book was completed on 13 April 1994. All the minutes of Stedham Parish Council annual meetings were hand-written until 1977, although the parish council meetings were first typed in 1967.
The minutes of Stedham Parish Council from 1894 to November 1960 are in the West Sussex County Archives. The minutes from December 1960 are held by the Clerk.
Iping Parish Council
Iping Parish Council held its first meeting on Friday 20 April 1900. All meetings were held either at Iping or Hollycombe schools. The first Chairman of Iping Parish Council was Fraser Piggott who lived at Fitzhall.
All records of Iping Parish Council are held by Milland Parish Council.